According to Hexagram's State of Native Advertising report:
- 62% of publishers and media companies offer some kind of native advertising program.
- 66% of brands create their own content for native advertising programs (in most other cases, the publishers assist in creating the content for the brand).
- The most popular forms of native advertising are sponsored blog posts (65%), sponsored articles (63%) and Facebook sponsored updates (56%).
Native advertising is growing as a part of content marketing for a few reasons:
- Media brands and social platforms (like LinkedIn and Facebook) are aggressively offering native advertising products.
- Brands now spend approximately25 to 30 percent of their budgeton content marketing initiatives. Brands have started to make this a priority, so native advertising is seen as a viable opportunity.
- When done right, it can work.
- There is a renewed passion in the advertising community around native. This "new advertising" (even though it's not new at all) has given hope to media buyers around the world that something can perform better than a banner ad.