People often misunderstand the way Google Plus works. They may point out the fact that G+ has fewer users than Facebook and Twitter or try to tell themselves it is an extra hassle they can do without. These people fail to fully grasp the nature of Google Plus and how it can massively improve your SEO results weather your clients and customers use it or not.
If you have not taken the time to set up a Google Plus profile yet, these 10 reasons will encourage you to do so today.
1. Google will treat your posts like content on the web. Google will index your content faster, it will gain page rank and it will show up in search results.
2. Your Google Plus content will capture real estate on Google search results pages and gain more exposure for your business.
3. Google Plus content gains page rank, gives page rank and stays in the search engine results for a long time. Some G+ posts over a year old hold number 1 position in search results. Compare that to the average 14mins. a tweet has been estimated to hold.
4. Google Plus has authorship which provides your website with a higher visual profile in search results getting you higher click through rate. Authorship can be set up simply by adding links to your Google Plus profile in the contributor to section and inserting the following code into your website <link rel="author" href="https://plus.google.com/YourGoogleAccountID"/>
5. Authorship is closely linked with content authority. If you create an interesting post that is related to your business and it receives +1's or shares, it will lead to higher authority. Google is looking to reward authoritative content so your search engine rankings will improve. Mark Traphagen argues that "over a broad sample of bloggers with G+ profiles, those who use Google authorship usually average a full page rank higher than those who do not."
6. Google Plus authorship and Google Plus social signals can improve your SEO. If your content is shared by people with higher authority, that authority will be passed on to you.
7. Social signals are becoming more and more important in search results and will continue to be so into the future. Google was founded on the principal of giving the user what they want so social signals will help filter out the noise and provide better search results.
8. The featured link of a Google Plus Post passes authority to the website to which it links. By linking to your website this way you are increasing the relevancy of your website content which will help your search rankings.
9. You should optimize the links section of the about us page for search results. The "Other Profiles" section does not pass any page rank authority and should be for your other social media profiles . The "Contributor To" does not pass page rank authroity either but should be linked to your website for Google Authorship. The Links Section however does pass page rank authority. Your website should be linked in this section.
10. Finally hashtags link topics to searches and are now used as keywords in the new algorithm. Correct use of the hashtags system can greatly improve your search results.