You use social networks to build business relationships and your microblogging presence helps you connect with your customers. You also contribute to a blog that discusses topics related to your business.
These social media tools can be effective ways to reach your customers, but it is also important to keep potential challenges in mind.
- Customer engagement: Profit from dynamic, interactive and on going communication with your clients
- Market research: Get direct and valuable feedback from your target audience without incurring high research costs
- Search engine visibility: Improve and upgrade your business' standing in search engine results
- Sales: Use social media strategies to increase sales
- Connect with new audiences: Social media can help you reach market segments that traditional marketing may not
- Security: Sensitive information, such as your business structure and future plans, could be compromised if you share too much information online and without a proper content planning
- Privacy: Customer and business information could be put at risk by computer hackers
- Measuring success: Accurately calculating the success of your social media activity can be difficult
- Monetization: Making your social media activities profitable can be challenging
- Complaints and bad reviews: Without a plan for dealing with unhappy customers, negative publicity can damage your reputation
- Time commitment: To be successful, you will need to commit the time needed to keep your content fresh and to respond to your customers
Apparently the potential is high but also quite disastrous can be the outcomes of not properly setting, following and executing your social media strategy and planning.
As such, it is of paramount importance to:
- Train your employees on social media security practices and make sure they are familiar with your business' social media strategy
- Create a secure password; it should be easy for you to remember, but difficult for others to guess
- Avoid using the same password on multiple sites and particularly on various social media platforms
- Protect yourself against phishing schemes where criminals prompt you to provide sensitive information, such as usernames and passwords on fake log-in screens
- Keep your anti-virus software up to date